Tropics watch: 2020 hurricane season won't stop; NHC watching tropical storms, tropical wave
The National Hurricane Center is tracking three systems in the Atlantic basin: Tropical Storm Eta, Tropical Storm Theta and a tropical wave in the Caribbean showing signs of strengthening.
Here's the latest update from the NHC as of 10 p.m. ET Wednesday, Nov. 11:
What's out there and where are they?
1. Tropical Storm Eta: Eta is located about 55 miles northwest of St. Petersburg and about 60 miles west-northwest of Tampa.
Watches, warnings issued:Florida's west coast under hurricane watch as Eta strengthens
2. Tropical Storm Theta: Theta is showing signs of strengthening as it continues moving east-northeast in the eastern Atlantic.
3. Disturbance 1: A tropical wave located over the eastern Caribbean Sea is producing a large area of showers and thunderstorms. The wave is expected to move slowly westward into more conducive environmental conditions over the next several days, and a tropical depression is likely to form this weekend when the disturbance reaches the central or western Caribbean Sea.
How likely are they to strengthen?
1. Tropical Storm Eta: Eta began to show signs of weakening Wednesday night with maximum sustained winds of 65 mph and higher gusts. Gradual weakening is expected as Eta approaches the west coast of Florida tonight, followed by more rapid weakening after landfall occurs on Thursday.
2. Tropical Storm Theta: Maximum sustained winds are near 65 mph, with higher gusts. Slow weakening is forecast to begin this weekend.
3. Disturbance 1:
- Formation chance through 48 hours: 50%
- Formation chance through 5 days: 90%
Details on Tropical Storm Eta
- Location: about 55 miles northwest of St. Petersburg (was 45 miles west) and about 60 miles west-northwest of Tampa (was 55 miles west)
- Maximum sustained winds: 65 mph (was 70)
- Present movement: north at 12 mph
Watches and warnings in Florida
A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for:
- Boca Grande to Suwannee River, Florida
- Flagler/Volusia County, Florida line northward to St. Andrews Sound, Georgia
A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for:
- North of the Suwannee River to Aucilla River, Florida
A Storm Surge Warning is in effect for:
- Bonita Beach to Suwanee River, including Tampa Bay and Charlotte Harbor
A Storm Surge Watch is in effect for:
- Steinhatchee River to Suwannee River, Florida
Details on Tropical Storm Theta
- Location: about 540 miles south-southwest of the Azores (was 590 miles)
- Maximum sustained winds: 65 mph (was 60 mph)
- Present movement: east-northeast at 12 mph (was 13 mph)
Who is likely to be impacted?
Here's more information about Hurricane Eta and its impact to Florida today and Thursday.
There are no hazards to land from Tropical Storm Theta.
It's still too early at this time to determine whether Florida will feel the impact from the tropical wave in the Caribbean.
Forecasters advise all residents to stay informed and be prepared during this very active hurricane season.
Tracking the tropics in real time:
These graphics, which update automatically, show you activity in the tropics in real time:
Latest images from National Hurricane Center:
USAT storm tracker:
We will continue to update our tropical weather coverage daily. Download your local site's app to ensure you're always connected to the news. And look at our special subscription offers here.