Labor Day weekend kicks off with Southwest Florida boat parades on Saturday for Trump, Biden
The red, white and blue will fly in the Gulf of Mexico this Labor Day weekend, with the red representing those in favor of Donald J. Trump and the blue in honor of Joe Biden.
Traditionally, many Americans celebrate with barbecues and heading to the beaches in honor of America's workers. Some will add a show of their political support at boat parades in Lee and Collier counties on Saturday.
Trump re-tweeted a video on May 3, about a boat parade in his honor in Jupiter, Florida, and now these political parades have made it into the public eye. On May 23, the Collier County Sheriff's Office estimated that 530 vessels, from kayaks to yachts, had its own flotilla in the Gulf of Mexico.
This time, Joe Biden supporters also will take to the waterways Saturday. The pair square off on Nov. 3's general election. Other flotillas across the state are set for Monday.
The flotilla in Cape Coral will celebrate the social and economic achievements of American workers, as well as show support for Trump.
Raven Ventura, of Pennsylvania, planned a boat parade in Cape Coral because she will be in town for the holiday weekend and wanted to show support for Trump.
"I love America just as much as he does," Ventura said.
She said this election is one of the most important elections for the sake of Americans.
"I have full confidence that Trump will drain the swamp and make America great again," Ventura said.
She loves Cape Coral and has been seeing many boat parades.
Ventura did not realize that another boat event in support of Biden will happen in the same area as hers, but she said she isn't concerned.
"... We all are entitled to our own opinions. However, I do feel that there will be way more Trump boats than Biden," she said.
Democratic candidate for House District 79 Danika Fornear organized the SHIP for Brains Trump Regatta where people in support of Biden and Kamala Harris can come together.
"There are so many of us in Southwest Florida who don't support tax cuts for the wealthy and taking away health insurance from millions of Americans," Fornear said. "I am organizing events, like this Regatta, to gather our community together to bring hope for the future to those that feel disillusioned and ignored in politics."
The Collier County Democrats did not respond in time for inclusion in this story.
The Collier events include a concert and rally on Little Marco, which includes a fundraiser for the Take a Soldier Fishing Foundation.
- Trump Boat Parade Labor Day Weekend: Horton Park, 2600 SE 26th Place, Cape Coral, under the Midpoint Bridge at 11 a.m. They will head south on the Caloosahatchee River toward The Boathouse Tiki Bar and Grill and then make their way toward Sanibel Island.
- SHIP for Brains Trump Regatta: Horton Park, 2600 SE 26th Place, Cape Coral, at 10:30 a.m. They will use eco-friendly watercraft and welcome those without boats to line the shore. They will greet the Trump Flotilla and encourage attendees to bring Biden/Harris signs, flags, banners, American flags, trumpets, horns and noisemakers. The event notes to wear a mask and remember to social distance.
- Trump Flotilla: Hosted by the South Collier Republican Club. There will be three starting points and a Land Car Parade. The event will end with a music festival on Little Marco. At 10 a.m. they will leave for Flotilla.
- Alfie Oakes will lead from North Naples at Wiggins Pass and come down the Gulf.
- Josh Skinner will lead from Naples Bay and take the back waters to the island.
- Matt Hoover will Lead Calusa Marina Goodland and coming up the backwater through Marco Island.
- The Car Parade will leave from Seed to Table at 10 a.m., led by Dustin Crum, Guardian of the Glades, Discovery Channel. It will go down U.S. 41 to Collier Boulevard/951 to the strip mall where parking for the event will be. Rides from there to the Water Taxi, at Dolphin Point Isles of Capri and back will be $10 each way – Water Taxi Rides will be $10 each ride and will have pickup and drop off points at The Fish House , Isles of Capri, Keewaydin and Little Marco Island.
- The music will start on the island at noon and go all day. Bring beverages food chains and umbrellas for the music festival. Donations will be taken for and donated to Steve Lloyds Take a Soldier Fishing Foundation for the active duty service and The Journey Home Veterans Foundation. Rain date is Sept. 6.