History of Bunker Hill Community
Bunker Hill was/is a community located approximately six miles northwest of Ponce de Leon, in Holmes County, Florida. There is no record as to how the community came by its name. The size of the community would be approximately a three-mile circle. In 2005, Corinth Road and Line Road intersect at the middle of the community.
The community had a school names Friendship. It was established in 1904 and was still in existence in 1929. In the early 1900's the school building also housed a church by the same name. Record do not indicate how long the church was housed there or how long it existed.
Activities for the people of Bunker Hill Community were those of helping each other. Families would gather and help with the hog killing, pea shelling, canning, harvesting crops, making syrup ect. There entertainment was singings, usually held on Saturday night at some ones house, peanut boilings, candy pullings and walking. Birthday dinners were a big item in the 1950's, usually held on Sunday and usually was a surprise for the birthday person.
Some of the early families who owned land and lived in the Bunker Hill area were: Angus Gillis; B. H. B. Mendham; E. D. Haughton; W. L., Robert, William T. Rhodes; Erastus J. Pitts (Pap); a Keel family. In the 1940/50's some of the families were; Arthur Howell; ED Farrior, Jr.; William T. , Angus and John Rhodes; Jerome Thomas; Thomas J. and Reese Haughton; Myrtle Haughton Padgett.
There are two large beech trees in two different places in the Bunker Hill community that bear witness that some of the people listed above and their children were here. Both trees have many initials of individuals and sweethearts carves in them. Time, however, is first making those fade away.