South Terrebonne used a big first quarter to take a big District 7-4A win over South Lafourche, 43-7 on Friday night at Ralph Pere Field at Tarpon Memorial Stadium.

The Gators wasted no time, going 62 yards on the game’s opening drive.

Terrance Sims had two big runs, one for 30 yards along with a 12 yard touchdown scamper. Shea Pitre’s PAT was good, and the Gators led 7-0 with a little more than two minutes gone in the first quarter.

The Gators scored 2 minutes later when the Tarpons muffed a snap on a punt. Dylan Authement scooped up the ball and rambled in for the score. The PAT failed, and South Terrebonne led 13-0 with 7:40 left in the first.

Nicholas Chauvin picked off South Lafourche quarterback Brock Bailleaux on first down on the Tarpons next possession. Gator quarterback Michael Gautreaux hit Cameron Hebert for 29 yards on second and 17. Two plays later, Colby Chelette took it in from the five, putting the Gators up 20-0 with 5:20 left in the opening frame.

"The first quarter we got a couple of breaks and that allowed us to go up," South Terrebonne coach Richard Curlin said. "Then (South Lafourche) did a good job of running that fullback (Aaron Vestal) and we had a hard time stopping him. Then in the second half we got a few more breaks that allowed us to make some plays."

The game got noticeably more competitive in the second quarter, with Vestal (24 carries, 95 yards, catch, 11 yards) leading the way for the Tarpons. South Lafourche drove 63 yards in 13 plays, with Vestal running nine of them. Bailleaux took it in from the 5, and South Lafourche cut the lead to 20-7 with 6:10 left in the half.

It took the Gators two plays and 25 seconds to get the lead to 20 again. Chelette (7 carries, 103 yards, TD) broke off a big 69 run down the right side, and Johnathan Smith took it the last 15 for the score, making the score 27-7 with 5:25 left in the half.

The Tarpons went on another long drive all the way down to the Gator 6. But a holding call pushed them back, and they then missed a 30-yard field goal as time ran out.

"In the second quarter going into halftime I felt really good about where we were," South Lafourche coach Blake Forsythe said. "We were a holding penalty away from making it a 14- point game, and then the wheels just came off. I really don’t see where it happened."

The teams largely exchanged punts in the third quarter until South Terrebonne’s offense got going again, executing an 11-play, 65-yard drive that ate up 4:41 off the clock. Smith got his second score of the night on a 7-yard touchdown run, and the Gators led 34-7 with 1:29 left in the third quarter.

South Lafourche muffed the ensuing kickoff, giving the ball to the Gators at the Tarpon 14. Trey Cavalier took it in from the 5, and the third quarter ended with the score 41-7 before South Terrebonne scored on a safety late in the game.