Long-time City of Vernon employee Ronald "Bulldog" Wood was tapped as the City of Vernon's new Public Works Director, filling the position left vacant following former director, Gerald Ward's retirement earlier this year.
The council also finalized the job description for public works laborer, a position they hope to fill soon to replace Wood.
The council also voted to change their meeting schedule and will revert to holding two workshops and regular sessions a month. Workshops will be held at 7 p.m. in the meeting room at City Hall the first and third Monday of each month, and the council will meet in regular session at 7 p.m. the second and fourth Monday of the month until further notice.
In other action, the council also approved:
- Purchase of the fire truck they've had on loan from the Esto Fire Department for $5,000
- Adjustment to two customer accounts
- Changes to the Vernon Fire Department's procedure manual
- Repairs for a water/belt press
- Sending letters to business customers in reference to backflow installation
- A service water and wastewater contract with Jimmy Cook
- To receive an amount of $2877.25 from the state as part of the annual traffic signal maintenance and compensation contract.
- The sale of surplus equipment by the Vernon Fire Department
- Approved the final job description to be advertised for the position Deputy City Clerk to replace outgoing Deputy Clerk Karen Dodd, who submitted her resignation, which was effective today, May 21.