University of South Florida (USF) a permit to exhume bodies at Marianna's Dozier School for Boys, the university is asking for the public's help in identifying the remains. The body of at least one Washington County boy is among those remains.
The former Department of Juvenile Justice facility, which closed in 2011, made national headlines after Florida investigators reported finding more than 50 graves on the property.
The burial sites are believed to contain bodies of students, and while many are believed to have died in a fire and a flu epidemic, allegations have been made many deaths were from abuse and ill treatment. The allegations have been made by a group of men who survived the school, known as the "White House Boys," after the building in which the abuse is said to have happened.
Researchers, who received $190,000 in funding from the state for the project, as well as a $423,528 grant from the U.S. Department of Justice, were given one year to exhume, identify and rebury the remains, as well as locate additional burials at the school.
With just three months left on their deadline, USF researchers are now asking the public to help identify the remains. Researchers have provided a list of children whose remains they believe they have, along with their parent or guardian's name, year received at Dozier, and their last known city of residence.
Anyone recognizing a name on the list is asked to contact Master Detective Greg Thomas of the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office at 813-247-8678.
· Willie Adkins, George Adkins, 1918, Tampa or possibly Polk County
· Thomas Aikins, Nancy Aikins, 1918, Jacksonville, Florida
· Joe Anderson, Ben Anderson, 1919, Lake County, Florida
· Walter Askew, Toeury Askew, 1925, Palm Beach, Florida
· Samuel Bethel, John Bethel, 1929, 443 N.W. 9 St., Miami, Florida
· James Brinson, Elizabeth Payton (Aunt), 1932, Putnam County, Florida
· Waldo Drew, Unknown, 1914, Pinellas County, Florida
· Llyod Dutton, E.W. Dillon, 1918, Ft. Myers, Florida
· Louis Fernandez, Unknown, 1914, Monroe County, Florida
· Hilton Finley, J.D. Finley, 1918, Tampa, Florida
· Walter Fisher, Unknown, 1914, Hillsborough County, Florida
· Edward Fonders, Mamie Smith & Jim Fonders, 1925, Melborne, Florida
· George Grissam, Peg Grissam, 1918, Caryville, Washington County, Florida
· Louis Haffin, Unknown, 1914, Duval County, Florida
· James /Joseph Hammond, Blanche Isham, 1936, Palm Beach or Jensen, Florida
· Schley Hunter, M. Hunter, 1922, Mayo, Florida
· Billey Jackson, Suzie and B.J. Jackson, 1952, Daytona Beach, Florida
· Joshua James, Unknown, 1916, Unknown
· Clifford Jeffords, Unknown, 1914, Pinellas County, Florida
· Clifford Miller, John Miller, 1924, Lake County, Florida
· Tillman Mohind, J.P. Mohind, 1916, Duval County, Florida
· Sam Morgan, E. Morgan, 1921, Lee County, Florida
· Richard Nelson, Unknown, 1935, Lake County, Florida
· Charlie Overstreet, Mamie Jones, 1924, Marvin, Georgia
· Clarence Parrot, Unknown, 1914, Sutherland or Palm Harbor, Florida
· Robert Rhoden, Annie Doe & Jeff Rhoden, 1929, 441 12th St. N, St. Petersburg
· Fred Sams, Theodora Onie (Aunt), 1932, Jacksonville, Florida
· Nathaniel Sawyer, S. Sawyer, 1920, R13, Box 677, Jacksonville, Florida
· Archie J. Shaw Jr., Archie J. Shaw Sr., 1932, 1609 Central Ave., Tampa, Florida
· Leonard Simmons, Ben Simmons, 1919, Miami, Florida
· Wilbur Smith, Tam Smith, 1918, Tampa, Florida
· Lee Smith, Rev. W.M. Smith, 1932, 18th Ave, Jacksonville, Florida
· Joe Stephens, Luke (Brother) & Elizabeth Stephens (Sister), 1932, Brevard County, Florida or possibly South Carolina
· Lee Underwood, Olivia & Dave Underwood, 1932, Jacksonville, Florida
· Puner Warner, Unknown, 1918, Atlanta, Georgia
· Joseph Wethersby, Fred Wethersby, 1914, Duval County, Florida
· Harry Wells, Unknown, 1914, Duval County, Florida
· Ralph Whiddon, Cornelius Whiddon, 1918, Charlotte Harbor, Florida
· Sim Williams, Unknown, 1916, Jackson County, Florida
· Arthur Williams, Lilla Williams, 1921, Micanopy, Florida
· John H. Williams, Jeanie Williams, 1921, Tallahassee, Florida
· Calvin Williams, Grosman Williams, 1922, Wellborn, Florida