BONIFAY – A $4 miilion grant for a drainage project at Camp Branch has been awarded to the City of Bonifay.

The grant is a matching grant for which FEMA will cover 83 percent, amounting to $3,480,448. That leaves the city with the remaining 17 percent totaling $693,661. The city will be looking to Florida Department of Transportation for help with the matching funds.

Bonifay City Council directed City Engineer Amir Zafar to meet with Melvin Engineering on behalf of First Baptist Church of Bonifay regarding city water lines on church property when they met in regular session February 12. The church is looking to close the 200 block of Hamlin Street as they own the property on both sides of the road. A public hearing will be held in the future on the matter.

The Kiwanis Club came before the council asking for a reduction in payment to the city for services during rodeo weekend. The original amount of $6,000 proved to be to steep after losing out on revenue after having to cancel the Saturday evening events due to Hurricane Irma.

The council agreed to drop the amount to $3,000. The payment was made to the clerk at the end of the meeting.

In other business, City Clerk Beverly Gilley advised the council about the new city website. An upgrade to the existing website is expected to be live on February 16, although it will not be fully completed. The same web address will be used at cityofbonifay.com

Bonifay City Council will meet again in regular session at 6 p.m. on February 26.