BONIFAY – An accidental fire was extinguished when Bonifay Fire-Rescue was called to a residence on November 11.
A call came into the Holmes County Communications Center from a neighbor regarding an alarm at 2101 North Highway 79.
A Holmes County Sheriff’s deputy was dispatched to the scene within three minutes. Upon arrival the deputy advised it was the fire alarm in the residence.
Smoke was seen coming from the roof of the house and Bonifay Fire-Rescue along with Holmes County EMS were dispatched to work an active structure fire. Bonifay Police Department also responded.
Holmes County EMS Rescue 1 arrived and established command of the incident. Bonifay Fire-Rescue 1 and Tanker arrived on scene and reported an approximate 3000 square feet single story brick home showing from outside.
Two firefighters donned self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) and entered the structure through a garage door into the kitchen of the home.
An active fire was found on the stove top that extended to the range hood and the cabinets.
Firefighters turned the stove eye off and were able to put the fire out with a water extinguisher.
The firefighters then pulled the ceiling down to check for any fire in the attic, none was found.
The home-owners suffered approximately $10,000 in damages to the kitchen and appliances according to the report. An unknown amount of smoke damage also occurred.
Firefighters used a positive pressure fan to remove any residual smoke from the residence.
There were no injuries reported on scene. The home-owners were not at home when the fire started.
The fire was ruled an accidental stove-top fire.