Pesticides and Your Pet

Published: Monday, March 4, 2013 at 03:27 PM.

 

While spring is a time to plant beautiful flowers in your yard, it also brings pesky insects out in numbers. Because of this, a potential hazard this time of year for pets is pesticides.

"Before choosing a pesticide read the label to ensure it is safe for your pet," said Michael Golding, assistant professor at the Texas A&M University College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences. "Avoid products with bone-meal as these can be tasty to your pet, and pesticides with organophosphates and carbamates as these can be extremely deadly."

The most common ways pets come into contact with pesticides is licking the toxic substances from their feet or coat, or by directly consuming the product from a container that has been left out.

If your pet begins showing symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, trouble walking, drooling, nausea, and/or tremors contact your veterinarian immediately as these are signs that your pet is suffering from pesticide related toxicity.

"A common way pesticides cause problems in our pets is through organophosphates and carbamates," said Golding. "They act as competitive inhibitors of acetylcholinesterase, a key component of the central nervous system that allows the brain to regulate the body."

While newer, more environmentally safe pesticides have a wider safety margin, they are still not 100% safe.



1 2
Next

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

COMMENTS
▲ Return to Top
 

Get new customers and grow your business with Daily Deals.com - see how it works