The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) is expected to receive its 10 millionth call to the Florida 511 Traveler Information System today, January 23. The state launched the statewide system June 2009, which provides updates on crashes, congestion, construction and more Florida’s interstates, toll roads and major metropolitan roadways.
TALLAHASSEE – The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) is expected to receive its 10 millionth call to the Florida 511 Traveler Information System today, January 23. The state launched the statewide system June 2009, which provides updates on crashes, congestion, construction and more Florida’s interstates, toll roads and major metropolitan roadways.
The toll-free phone system offers traffic information to callers in both English and Spanish. It is one of several convenient ways motorists can receive updates, including:
· FL511.com website, with interactive roadway maps showing traffic congestion and crashes, travel times and traffic camera views.
· Free Florida 511 mobile app available on Google Play and iTunes.
· 12 statewide, regional and roadway-specific Twitter feeds.
· My Florida 511 personalized services, allowing users to receive customized traffic alerts via phone, email or text messages.
“We are happy to be able to offer a robust traffic information system to Florida’s motorists,” said Gene Glotzbach, Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) Engineer Administrator, FDOT. “The 511 phone system and other 511 resources allow drivers to know before they go by checking traffic before traveling to help stay safe on the roads.”
FDOT first offered 511 as a regional resource for traffic information in 2005 and has enhanced and improved 511 to become the full-service, statewide system it is today.
Florida 511 Facts
· The toll-free phone system averaged more than 150,000 calls per month in 2013
· I-95 and I-4 were the most requested roadways by 511 callers, making up 53 percent of roadway requests in 2013
· The FL511.com website averaged more than 65,000 visitors per month in 2013
· My Florida 511 personalized services sends out an average of 32,000 customized email, phone and text alerts each day
· The Florida 511 mobile apps have been downloaded approximately 70,000 times
· Check 511 before driving, while pulled over in a safe location or have a passenger call to distracted driving
· Always wear a safety belt
· Don’t drink and drive
Florida 511 Features
· Traffic information on all interstate highways, toll roads and many other metropolitan roadways.
· Commuter travel times and reports on crashes, congestion and construction.
· Public transit, airport and seaport information.
· AMBER, Silver and LEO Alerts (America’s Missing: Broadcast Emergency Response (AMBER) Alerts notify the public of the most serious child-abduction cases. Silver Alerts notify the public when law enforcement agencies are searching for missing adults or citizens with cognitive impairments, including Alzheimer’s disease or other forms of dementia. Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) Alerts notify the public when law enforcement officers are searching for an offender(s) who has seriously injured or killed a law enforcement officer.)
· FL511.com provides travel information, traffic camera views and free personalized services, including customized travel routes and e-mail, text and phone call alerts.
· Voice-activated and touch-tone navigation available when calling 511.
· The 511 phone call and FL511.com website are available in English and Spanish.