Mother’s Day, May 12, is an opportunity to celebrate the mothers in your life – but this year, skip the chocolates and instead, give the gift of wellness. Consider the following tips and hints from TOPS Club, Inc.
Mother’s Day, May 12, is an opportunity to celebrate the mothers in your life – but this year, skip the chocolates and instead, give the gift of wellness. Consider the following tips and hints from TOPS Club, Inc. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly), the nonprofit weight-loss support organization, for the woman who is starting or simply maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
• Be her workout partner. Make an effort to exercise regularly together, and schedule it on the calendar as a reminder. If she’s bored with her usual workout routine, gift her a package to a series of fitness sessions that you can attend together. “Deal of the day” websites make it easy to sample a variety of classes and try something new. Exercising with another person will also help hold you both accountable and is an opportunity to find support during the wellness journey.
• Prepare a light brunch. Avoid the overpriced, artery-clogging brunch and serve Mom a nutritious meal that will leave energy to spare. Fruit salad, whole wheat pancakes, scrambled or baked eggs, smoked salmon on whole-wheat bread or crackers, and dessert cake made with applesauce instead of oil or butter are all sensible but delicious options. Select recipes from a new, healthy cookbook and leave the book behind to inspire her later.
• Compile a get-fit basket. Consider including a reusable water bottle, a set of light hand weights, pedometer, sweat-wicking top, yoga mat, or workout towel. Most fitness DVDs require minimal equipment and can be done anywhere, home or away. Add a tape measure so she can gauge her progress, too.
• Give her the gift of support - a TOPS membership. TOPS provides weight-loss support and wellness education for only $28 per year in the U.S. and $32 each year in Canada, plus nominal chapter fees. Visit www.tops.org for more information or to find a chapter near you.
• Boost her mental well-being with added rest. Skimping on sleep can leave Mom at a higher risk for a weakened immune system and type 2 diabetes, among other health problems. Give the gift of a good night’s rest by investing in high-quality bed linens or a luxurious new pillow. For new mothers, offer to watch the baby periodically so Mom can rest restoratively.
• Start a garden. Does your mom have a green thumb? Buy planters and seeds so she can grow healthful and tasty fresh basil, mint leaves, or other herbs. A kitchen or windowsill garden is a convenient option for those with limited space outdoors. For a little something extra, include healthy recipes for using the plants once they’ve grown.
• Help her relax. If you can’t afford to splurge for a full day’s worth of treatments, a gift certificate for a spa massage, facial, or manicure and pedicure will give Mom the opportunity to de-stress. You can also get her bath salts or a comfy robe, so she can bring the experience home and relieve tension when it’s most convenient for her.
TOPS Club Inc. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) is the original weight-loss support and wellness education organization. Founded more than 65 years ago, TOPS is the only nonprofit, noncommercial weight-loss organization of its kind. TOPS promotes successful weight management with a “Real People. Real Weight Loss.®” philosophy that combines support from others at weekly chapter meetings, healthy eating, regular exercise, and wellness information. TOPS has about 150,000 members – male and female, age seven and older – in nearly 9,000 chapters throughout the United States and Canada.
Visitors are welcome to attend their first TOPS meeting free of charge. To find a local chapter, view www.tops.org or call (800) 932-8677.